Followers

Saturday, June 23, 2018

June 21, 2018 - Steamboat, CO

Another beautiful day and another short day.  The pack and go travel was starting to tire both of us and a multiple day stay would have been a good idea but Steamboat was the last on our list so we packed and left at 10:00.  The hotel staff was fun and they enjoyed our method of travel.
We were on I-70 for maybe 12 miles then turned north on Rt. 131.  It was a stunning ride with terrain that varied continual.  The altitude changed constantly but continued to rise with stunning mountains and valleys.  The "towns" that we passed through may have had 3 building and not much else.  We had a full tank of gas with a range of 300 miles so problems.

The town didn't resemble much of what I remembered for 39 years ago.  More modern, more traffic, and restaurants.  We wandered the streets then I saw something that I remembered from my ski vacation in 1979.
The old town ski area and jumps were still there.  I don't know if they still operate but I guess it's a great area for the kids to learn.  We spent a few hours in town then went back to what was our low point for lodging, a timeshare vacation place that rented their unused units.  They were dated and clearly worn out!  The unit looked like a ski condo with scrapes and scratches on everything, but reasonably clean.  We would rise early and head for Louisville for 3 days before Pattie flies back to Cary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment

A difficult year in many ways!

Let's see, it all started with an unusually cold and persistent winter.  No, there was no Indian Summer as we tend to have in January.  ...