Followers

Saturday, April 29, 2023

NC State Parks - Raven Rock, Carvers Creek, Weymouth Woods & Jordan Lake State Recreation Area

Today was a learning experience. My first Parks loop was to stop at Raven Rock, Carvers Creek, Weymouth Woods & Jordan lake. 

Raven Rock



This was the largest of the three parks with many facilities. I came in the back way on a dirt road, no gravel, dirt! After 2 miles I had to cross a creek, 12" of water, but easy enough.  This was the most interesting park and I will go back possibly to camp and explore. It is also the largest of the State Parks I visited today.

Lesson 1: GPS doesn't distinguish between service entrance and front gate. They were only a mile apart.

Lesson 2: Wear walking boots or carry hiking shoes. The Parking is at the Visitors Center and all trails radiate out from there. There is no vehicle access beyond there. Everyone I saw was carrying a backpack and a walking stick.

Lesson 3: Starting 1/2 mile from the gate there were signs on the shoulders saying NO Parking! Not a lot of parking so go on weekdays! 

Carvers Creek



Fairly small with parking at the Visitors Center and 9 trails that radiate out. Also, a gravel entrance road.

Weymouth Woods



It's a nature preserve. I couldn't find it because there was a major festival in Southern Pines and cars had clogged everything. Avoid weekends.

Jordan Lake



This is not a state park but a Recreation Area. I stopped at the visitors center to get my stamp. I really enjoyed the ride in the country. Beautiful horse farms, good roads and a fun route.

The extra treat was lunch at the Pik-N-Pig at 12:30 with no crowd, I walked right in.
165 very enjoyable miles.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment

A difficult year in many ways!

Let's see, it all started with an unusually cold and persistent winter.  No, there was no Indian Summer as we tend to have in January.  ...