Followers

Tuesday, June 6, 2023

NC State Parks - Hammocks Beach


Hammocks Beach State Park

https://www.ncparks.gov/state-parks/hammocks-beach-state-park

https://www.facebook.com/hammocksbeachstatepark

I didn't see a hammock anywhere.  So I had to ask.  It seems that the word hammocks in this case was derived fro a Spanish word meaning high dry land.  The actual camping area is on an island that you access by ferry from the Visitors Center dock.  The island provides free camping anywhere you want in the low sand dunes.  There were no trees where I could swing my hammock.  They also offered rental canoes and kayaks for the do it yourselfers.  

I took the liberty of resting on the porch in the comfy chairs and enjoyed the strong breeze that cooled me off.  It was off to the Emerald Island Day's Inn for the evening.

It had been a pretty hot day and I was tired when I settled in to the Day's Inn.  The clerk said the new restaurant across the street that just opened had good food.  Let me say this about that!  Convenient food does not mean good food.  While this trip was not a dining trip the food I had, for the most part, was terrible.  The best meal I had was a hotdog at Hardee's.  Not my usual Calabash dining experience but I wasn't close enough to Calabash to make it there.

The Day's Inn was clean but the TV only had 3 channels.  Tomorrow I head to Fort Macon, I am excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment

It's been a while since I slept on the ground!

  Good thing I checked, while the tent is fine the pole cords have rotted.  I can't seem to get the poles together since there is no mor...