Followers

Wednesday, June 7, 2023

NC State Parks - Fort Macon

Fort Macon State Park

https://www.ncparks.gov/state-parks/fort-macon-state-park

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fort-Macon-State-Park/1723162887910513


This is the one I will definitely return to for a few days in the fall after the summer tourists are gone.  The whole exhibit of the fort with movies, trails out around the dunes and beaches with spectacular sweeping views off the top of the fort.  I loved this and could easily have stayed all day.  It was a beautiful day with light winds and not as hot as yesterday.  I spent 2 hours just wandering around.  There are formalized tours, musket demonstrations and on certain days the crew from the local military base come over in time appropriate gear and fire the cannons.  The days and time of these events are on the Friends of Fort Macon facebook page.

There was no one there on this Wednesday morning.  It was peaceful unlike the probable history of this amazing place.  As many times as I have been to the beaches of NC I have never been here.  The Visitors Center store even talked me into buying a book and I am not a shopper.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment

It's been a while since I slept on the ground!

  Good thing I checked, while the tent is fine the pole cords have rotted.  I can't seem to get the poles together since there is no mor...