Followers

Tuesday, July 25, 2023

NC State Parks - Elk Knob, Grandfather Mountain

 I slept well until 7 am which is late for me.  I took it easy fixing coffee on my porch and taking my time.  Today was just 2 Parks then on to see my college roommate and his wife near Pineola.  Coffee done and bike packed by 8:30 and I was off to Elk Knob State Park.

Elk Knob State Park

https://www.ncparks.gov/state-parks/elk-knob-state-park


It was an easy morning but the first 9 miles were a bit challenging.  When I left High Country I turned left for the shorter route out to the main roads.  It was a pretty narrow gravel road with a shear drop-off into the gorge.  The rains had eaten away part of the road bed with barely enough room for a jeep to get by in places.  The most interesting sight was as I looked over the edge riding by a significant waterfall way down in the gorge.  It must have been 100 feet high but there was no way to get a picture.  The gorge was a significant drop from the road straight down.  I could see no way to get there for a better shot or any shot at all.  So I continued on.  This road ended up on Old 421 into Boone.  The Old road was great with lots of twists and turns then dumping me out on the new 421.  I stopped for breakfast in Boone then headed for Elk Knob.  The little twisty road there was through beautiful country farms and about 18 miles.  The mountain was very scenic.



Grandfather Mountain State Park

https://www.ncparks.gov/state-parks/grandfather-mountain-state-park#ParkOffice-1790

My last stop of the day was Grandfather Mountain State Park. Now don't get excited it is not what you think.  Due to my numerous screwups trying to find the office with the Park stamp I called ahead to clarify the location.  The State Park is not the same as Grandfather Mountain the tourist attraction.  The office is in a little strip mall across from a lumber yard on the Rt. 105.  It is 3 1/2 miles from the turn into the park.  The park is only a dirt parking lot and trails that lead up into the primitive camping area.  Very Rustic so don't expect to see the mile high bridge, that's down the road a ways.  So no pictures!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment

It's been a while since I slept on the ground!

  Good thing I checked, while the tent is fine the pole cords have rotted.  I can't seem to get the poles together since there is no mor...