Followers

Wednesday, July 26, 2023

NC State Parks - Mount Mitchell

I spent the night with my college roommate Larry and his wife Renie.  Always fun visiting.  The next morning I left for Mount Mitchell.  20 miles down the Blue Ridge Parkway I realized that I left my Passport book at Larry's so I had to go back.  That corrected I would be on the Blue Ridge Pkwy all the way to Asheville.

Mount Mitchell State Park

https://www.ncparks.gov/state-parks/mount-mitchell-state-park

If you have never been up to the top it is quite a trip.  From the BRP it's 5 miles to the top with a very large parking area and then a beautiful 300 yard walk uphill to the top viewing area.  I didn't do the walk since I have done it many times before.  But as usual there was a crowd at the top.


To me what is amazing is that along with the motorcycles there is always a large group of bicyclist that climb this steep road to the top.

That is me in the foreground the 2 bikes next to me were a couple from Quebec and they were having a great time.  Today the views weren't good due to the blue haze but I did get a few picture off the Parkway on my way to Asheville.


Visiting friends on the road is something I love to do.  I also get to sofa surf.  I spent the afternoon visiting Lynn, a good friend from High School and that night I stayed at Judy's, she is always a great host.  I grew up with her and her brother Gregg and their parents were like second parents to me and my brothers.  We  had Dinner at Vinnie's on Hendersonville road and it was great.  Now it is sinking in that tomorrow it will be 97 degrees in the middle of the state and I am heading into it. Ugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment

It's been a while since I slept on the ground!

  Good thing I checked, while the tent is fine the pole cords have rotted.  I can't seem to get the poles together since there is no mor...