Followers

Tuesday, October 3, 2023

NC State Parks - Gorges, and Crowders Mountain!

The last night on the road!

My night at the motel in Chimney Rock reinforced my feeling that I would rather be in my hammock.  At least I know who slept in my hammock last night.  I also know that it is clean.  I knew that I needed to get on the road because the trip to Gorges State Park is a very winding tiring trip and I had been looking forward to seeing this park for this whole summer.

Gorges State Park

https://www.ncparks.gov/state-parks/gorges-state-park

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gorges-State-Park-NC/181675748634403



My legs were like rubber from the hike yesterday day and now I knew that I wasn't doing a hike in Gorges, especially when you read the description of the various trails.  I would have to be happy with a drive through and enjoying the countryside.  The ride in took me through many of the apple growing areas and cider mills.  Roadside stands that were probably only open on weekends.  There was also a huge sunflower farm with a you pick it sign.  I did manage to find a family diner in Etowah for a hearty breakfast.  Had an excellent breakfast at The Dutch Cupboard.

https://www.facebook.com/TheDutchCupboard/

The Park has a gorgeous Visitors Center when you ride in.  There are limited roads to travel in the park.  The ranger assured me that the trails were very difficult which was a disappointment but not unexpected.  This is really a hiking, backpacking and primitive camping area.

Of the 8 trails only one was listed an easy and that was a 0.4 mile connector trail.  The others were listed as strenuous So I got my Stamp, enjoyed the view and will be there if I am in better condition next time.


Crowders Mountain State Park




I am heading home but along the way is the last stop 

Crowders Mountain is just off of NC 74 near Kings Mountain.  This is mainly a hiking mountain with trails that take you to the summits of Crowders Mountain and Kings Pinnacle.  There is also a small lake for fishing.

The camping is all back country camping  requiring that campers carry in their gear.  The sites do have grills, tent pads and drinking water.  Pit toilets are also available.

For the really hearty there is Rock Climbing in designated areas.

THE PASSBOOK STAMP BOOK IS COMPLETE!

The ride home completed 625 miles over winding country roads and I was tired.  I stopped multiple times on the way home just to rest and find air conditioning since is was getting hot in the afternoon.

In a day or two I will be posting a summary and a list of my favorites.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment

It's been a while since I slept on the ground!

  Good thing I checked, while the tent is fine the pole cords have rotted.  I can't seem to get the poles together since there is no mor...