Followers

Wednesday, October 25, 2023

NC State Parks- The wrap up!

I have been asked which parks were my favorites.  I must preface this by saying all of the parks were beautifully maintained by the Parks Service.  There is something there for everyone.  So I have broken down the parks into categories and all the parks aren’t mentioned.  Many of the Parks are small but wonderful for a picnic or a day hike.   A word of caution:  Most of the parks are very crowded on weekends in the summer.  Try to make your trip in the middle of the week and you will enjoy the parks for being less crowded!

Educational:  Fort Macon, Dismal Swamp - I am definitely going back to both to spend a couple of days.


Hiking:  all parks have it but the award goes to Gorges State Park but very difficult trails.  Must be a very in-shape hiker!  I am in no way a strong enough hiker to enjoy all this park has to offer!


Camping:  most have very clean campsites and bathrooms.  Reservations are easy.  At Lake James an attendant came by with firewood. $8 a bundle but no kindling so take a hatchet.  One bundle good for the night.  Beautifully maintained campgrounds.


Cabins:  some have cabins that are fully equipped with beds for 3-5 adults and fully equipped kitchens.  They are also heated and air conditioned.  $75 per night but 2 night minimum, this may vary on weekends.  


Boating Parks:  these are big parks wrapped around lakes.  Beautiful but too big to get my arms around what to do.  Riding around them was not interesting.  Lake James, Norman, Falls and Jordan.


Scenic rides to the parks:  the northwest corner gets my nod.  Elk Mountain, Mount Jefferson, New River and Stone Mountain.  I want to go back and stay at these Parks next summer.


Vistas:  Morrow Mountain, Chimney Rock, Mount Mitchell - sad to say I grew up in Asheville, NC and had never been to Chimney Rock.  It is well worth the trip.  Morrow Mountain…never knew there was a mountain east of Charlotte and the view is wonderful.


Disappointment:  Grandfather Mountain.  It has little to do with the famous mountain.  It’s off on the side at the bottom of the mountain with only wilderness camping.


A word of caution.  Some parks are very remote with no food or gas nearby.  I got to Lake James late and the attendant told me the nearest restaurant was 18 miles away in Morganton.  It was dark and the deer were out.  I always carry freeze dried camping food.  The nearest gas was in Morganton also.  After Labor Day service operations around these parks close for the winter even though the Parks are open so gas up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment

It's been a while since I slept on the ground!

  Good thing I checked, while the tent is fine the pole cords have rotted.  I can't seem to get the poles together since there is no mor...