Followers

Monday, June 23, 2025

Another tough day in the wind!


 I stayed late in Rock Springs due to the low temps wind chill 34 degrees.  At 11:00 it had risen to 54 degrees.  It only took 20 miles to crank up the wind machine.  I had hoped that the windy days were over but I was really wrong.  About 30 miles into this 190 mile day a warning sign with lights flashing “High wind tip over risk” so I was watching and other motorcyclists were coming toward me so I continued on.  Another 30 miles and a bigger sign with flashing lights read “High wind blow over risk - 40+ MPH”.  By this time my shoulders were aching from fighting the winds but my lunch stop was 20 miles away so I continued on.  After lunch I made it to Wind River which is a stunning ride up through this gorgeous canyon, and yes with the ever present wind.  Over the course of 5 miles the temperature dropped from 72 degrees to 54 degrees and I pulled over in a camping site and put on my fleece and winter gloves.  I came down this canyon from the MOA Rally in Great Falls a few years ago and its just an awesome ride down the canyon.  The ride up is just as beautiful.

I arrived in Thermopolis at 4 pm, checked in to a Quality Inn and was beat!  This Inn is a dump, probably the worst of the ones I have stayed in on this trip.  The real reason I stopped here was for lunch tomorrow at the One Eyed Buffalo, an awesome restaurant.  I ate there my last time through here and well worth a stop.  I could have gone on to Cody but I have time to kill before I have to get to Great Falls, MT.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment

A difficult year in many ways!

Let's see, it all started with an unusually cold and persistent winter.  No, there was no Indian Summer as we tend to have in January.  ...