Followers

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Beautiful day and ride through Gros Morne National Park

Last night at the B&B we were up chatting and I was the only American.  Irland, Norway, Austria, Calgary Canada, a very international crowd.  Most flew into Deer Lake even the flight from Norway changed in Halifax.  Deer Lake is a very large international airport.  It is all because Gros Morne National Park is an international destination.  It is a Unesco Heritage site.  I drove through it on my way north and the sights were beautiful.


The road was very good with some bridge construction but as you see the roads in Newfoundland are well maintained.  The only real potholes were in St. John's.  But this country continues to dazzle me.




Resting up tonight and crossing at 10:30 my time which is 9:00 eastern time.  It is a 45 minute ferry ride to Blanc Sablon in northern Quebec.  Then a couple of miles north to the border with Labrador.  Will probably be staying in Red Bay, the beginning of the dirt.  May take 2 days to rest and set up the bike for dirt, lower tire pressure, change suspension, pack some food and lots of water and ride around on the gravel some to get used to the road.  If according to plan the weather looks good for Friday traveling to Goose Bay over the 275 miles of gravel roads and my guess is with lots of breaks it will take me 10 hours so I will be on the road at 7 am and expect to get there by 5 pm at the latest.  There is no other option, no food, water or people for the whole trip so I have to carry anything I need for it.  I am sure I will get a briefing from the visitors center and I will be looking for a group to tag along with in case there are problems.  Should be fun!  My next pictures will be from Labrador and this will be my last ferry ride!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment

Had to make revisions to the ferry route!

 A riding buddy, Dennis Porterfield, pointed out that there are 3 chain/cable ferries usually approached via gravel roads.  They are hard to...