Followers

Thursday, July 27, 2023

Busted trip - the plan has to change

I had planned in my trip plan #2 to add three more parks on my way home.  The parks were along I-40 and included Lake James, South Mountains and Lake Norman.  Well when I got to the bottom of Old Fort Mountain it was apparent that the heat was going to be a major factor today.  As I approached the Lake James exit the temperature was already in the upper 80's and it was 8:15 and I would have to hang around until 9:00 for the Park to open.  Stopping at each of the three would have thrown my travel into the afternoon and the high temperatures of the day.  I was already faced with facing the morning sun as I traveled east.  I decided to skip the parks and go home.

When I got to Statesville I was feeling the heat. From there I took the road to Mocksville and cooler secondary roads.  I then connected with NC64 in Asheboro on home.  I made 5 stops, a lunch stop, a snack stop and 3 stops where I stood in gas stations and  enjoyed the cool along with a Gatorade.  When I got home I felt like I was well done coming out of the oven.

All in all a great trip.  I will catch those other 3 parks in September when it is cooler.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment

Had to make revisions to the ferry route!

 A riding buddy, Dennis Porterfield, pointed out that there are 3 chain/cable ferries usually approached via gravel roads.  They are hard to...